LYON RUM voted Best Craft Rum Distillery
USA Today 10 Best
This Chesapeake Bay microdistillery makes their winning rum from Louisiana-grown sugarcane
Note from 10Best: Someday, we’ll all be ready to pack our suitcases again and head out on our next adventures. In the meantime, we’ll keep supporting the places that inspire us.
#1 LYON RUM
St. Michaels, Maryland
LYON RUM is the flagship spirit of Windon Distilling Company – a micro distillery on the Chesapeake Bay dedicated to distilling American Rum from 100-percent Louisiana sugarcane using traditional pot stills. Rum lovers have numerous options to choose from: White Rum, Dark Rum and barrel-rested Sailors Reserve Rum, plus Curaçao, Coffee Rum, Rock&Rum and seasonal specialties like toasted Coconut Rum, Overproof Pineapple Rum and Blackberry Harvest Rum.
Sugarcane plantations in the Caribbean began distilling rum during the 17th century from molasses, an inexpensive byproduct of the sugar refining process. The spirit came to the U.S. in 1664 with the opening of the first rum distillery on Staten Island and continued to grow in popularity through the Revolutionary War. Rum has come a long way since those early days, and distilleries across the nation are experimenting with how to craft the finest variations.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Craft Rum Distillery are as follows:
- LYON RUM – St. Michaels, Maryland
- Muddy River Distillery – Belmont, North Carolina
- Wicked Dolphin – Cape Coral, Florida
- Arizona Craft Beverage – Elgin, Arizona
- Three Roll Estate – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Seven Caves Spirits – San Diego, California
- Koloa Rum Company – Lihue, Hawaii
- KoHana Distillers – Kunia Camp, Hawaii
- Richland Distilling Company – Richland, Georgia
- Smoky Quartz Distillery – Seabrook, New Hampshire
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning distilleries!