The Roy Family
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc
Château Bellegrave du Poujeau is located in the tiny hamlet of Le Pian-Médoc, less than 20 kilometers north of Bordeaux and 12 kilometers south of Margaux.
Château Bellegrave du Poujeau is located in the tiny hamlet of Le Pian-Médoc, less than 20 kilometers north of Bordeaux and 12 kilometers south of Margaux. Edouard Féret was the first to mention this excellent Haut Médoc terroir in his guide “Bordeaux and its Wines” published in 1868. The terroir here is a well-drained, gravel mound, ideal for producing red wines with generous structure and good levels of acidity. The château and vines are sheltered by pine forest. This four hectare property was formerly part of Château Duthil, an estate in neighboring Labarde selected for the original Cru Bourgeois classification in 1932. In 1956, Duthil’s vines, and most in the area, were devastated by a record frost. It was 25 years before owners, the Roy family, decided to restore the vineyard. The estate was replanted in 1981 to 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, and 5% Cabernet Franc. In 1999, the ten-acre property was purchased by neighbor Jean-Pierre Cantelaube who rechristened it Bellegrave du Poujeau, the site’s original name. At the beginning of the millennium, Monsieur Cantelaube completely renovated the cellar with state-of-the-art vinification equipment and upgraded the château to accommodate professional and amateur guests. In 2003, Bellegrave du Poujeau gained Cru Bourgeois status as an independent estate. Because of its small size, the estate is run more like a Right Bank property with almost all vineyard work conducted by hand. Elevage for the single wine produced is 18 months in French oak barrels however, Jean-Pierre wants the fruit from this special micro-terroir to shine, so barrels are carefully selected with never more than 20% new wood used.